Finding cancer – and fighting it – relies heavily on sophisticated diagnostic and treatment technology.
To provide exceptional care to residents in the Treasure Coast area, the Scully-Welsh Cancer Center has invested a great deal to provide the equipment that gives our patients a significant edge in their fight against cancer. We will continue to keep pace with the latest technology, providing our physicians with the best equipment to care for their patients.
TrueBeam™ STx Linear Accelerator
Custom-built for the Scully-Welsh Cancer Center, TrueBeam technology makes radiation therapy treatments faster and more accurate for patients.
- Next-generation radiation therapy treatment
- Highly focused beam targets tumors and avoids normal tissue with extreme accuracy
- Produces better outcomes and fewer side effects
- Often reduces the number of treatments
Da Vinci® Surgical Robot
A minimally invasive surgical alternative to open surgery and laparoscopy for complex surgical procedures, the robot is used to treat cancers such as throat, thoracic, bladder, kidney, colorectal, gynecologic and urologic cancers. Robotic-trained surgeons utilize this equipment to enhance surgical precision, benefiting oncology patients.
- Minimally invasive alternative to open surgery and laparoscopy for complex surgical procedures
- Faster recovery with fewer complications
- Treats throat, bladder, kidney, colorectal, gynecologic and urologic cancers
Electromagnetic Navigation Bronchoscopy™ (ENB™)
The ENB equipment gives lung cancer patients a life-saving edge.
- Diagnoses hard-to-reach lesions on the lung
- Aids in earlier diagnosis and personalized treatment
- GPS-like function allows physicians to target biopsy area, determine cancer stage and place treatment markers
Digital Pathology System
This system allows the Hospital pathologists to scan pictures of the microscopic composition of tumors into reports and share this critical information instantaneously with experts anywhere in the world. This provides access to consistent and objective diagnostic interpretation, benefiting Scully-Welsh Cancer Center patients.
- Replaces physical shipment of tissue samples leading to expedited diagnosis
- Ability to share crucial information and obtain second opinions from experts around the world in days versus weeks
Ultrasound-Guided Biopsy Systems
These systems provide exceptionally accurate, lower-risk biopsies and allow some patients to avoid more invasive, higher-risk procedures.
- Highly accurate, minimally invasive way to biopsy the gastrointestinal tract and lungs
- Guided by ultrasound
- Fiber optic visualization
- Greater instrument maneuverability during procedures allows exceptional accuracy
Sonopet Ultrasound Aspirator for Neurosurgery
Sonopet offers new hope for patients with brain tumors.
- Destroys tumors with ultrasonic waves
- Leaves healthy tissues intact
- Targets primary malignant brain tumors and metastasis and removes benign tumors
DigniCap® Scalp Cooling System for Reduced Hair Loss
Hair loss is rated by patients as one of the most devastating side effects of chemotherapy. Thanks to the DigniCap® scalp cooling system, hair loss is no longer inevitable for patients undergoing chemotherapy to treat cancer from solid tumors.
Some chemotherapy drugs can damage hair cells. The DigniCap® system utilizes a snug-fitting cap to cool the scalp and reduce blood flow, so less chemotherapy reaches the hair cells. Because it is not exposed to the full dose of chemotherapy, hair is less likely to fall out.
Features of the DigniCap® system:
- Smooth inner surface for optimal scalp contact
- Shaped to leave patients’ ears uncovered for comfort and ease of hearing
- Quick-disconnect allows caps to be easily detached for bathroom breaks
- Built-in security sensor ensures scalp temperature never falls below 32oF
The cooling system is effective with many chemotherapy drugs used to treat cancer from solid tumors. To learn more about DigniCap®, contact Carrie Antonelli at (772) 226-4831.
Reflectance confocal microscopy (RCM) is a technique that can help physicians more accurately evaluate both melanocytic and nonmelanocytic skin lesions. It may even negate the need for biopsy in certain instances. RCM works by focusing light on a specific point in the tissue and the reflected light shows architectural and cellular details in extreme resolution. These sharp black-and-white detailed images, similar to ultrasound images, would be blurred when viewed with conventional light dermoscopy.
- Ability to view an area under the skin’s surface, giving a more precise picture of the lesion
- Much higher magnification of lesions, down to the cellular level
UroNav fuses pre-biopsy MR images of the prostate with ultrasound-guided biopsy images in real time, for excellent delineation of the prostate and suspicious lesions. After a patient has undergone a prostate MRI, radiology partners utilize DynaCAD for Prostate to quickly visualize and evaluate suspicious lesions. The UroNav fusion biopsy system uses this critical diagnostic information to provide urologists with a targeted approach to prostate biopsy. The fusion of MR and ultrasound images through UroNav gives urologists the ability to offer their patients an alternative to remaining in an uncertain state of diagnosis after a prostate exam.