Dr. Richard Milsten Patient Care Navigator Program
The Dr. Richard Milsten Patient Care Navigator Program is named after a retired Vero Beach urologist and funded through donations to the Indian River Medical Center Foundation.
The Patient Care Navigators become the face and reassuring voice that helps patients make sense of what can be an overwhelming experience. Caring, specially-trained guides lead patients through the maze of cancer terminology, tests and treatment, while sharing means of coping with stress. They assist with research, locate specialists, make appointments, help with financial paperwork and connect patients with many medical and non-medical resources.
The navigators can effectively help patients anticipate and avoid obstacles to care, such as:
- Healthcare barriers: fragmented services, lack of coordination of available services
- Financial barriers: lack of or insufficient insurance, overwhelming amounts of paper work, undocumented status and lack of citizenship, lack of financial resources
- Physical barriers: lives excessive distances from the cancer center, lack of car or access to public transportation
- Information/educational barriers: primary language is not English, inadequate health literacy, need for information about cancer care
- Social barriers: appointment not kept because of need for child or elder care, fear of side effects of therapy
Our navigators help patients to receive the care they deserve and provide a seamless transition from diagnosis to treatment to survivorship. They advocate for the highest quality care and help to make your journey easier so you can focus on the healing process.